Create a Website
Let’s face it – there are a lot of options when you’re looking to create a website. You can:
- ask someone on Fiverr or Freelancer
- give it a go yourself
- ask an experienced local
Fiverr or Freelancer
If you know exactly what you are looking for, using an online freelancer could work for you. However most small businesses, when they are starting out, aren’t sure what they need. So here’s some questions to help you…
- Do you need a Wix, Shopify, WordPress or custom-built site? Do you know enough about these platforms to know which one is best for you?
- Do you know how to write up the specifications for your website so that it is clear and unambiguous for the freelancer you are hiring?
- Websites require ongoing attention after they’ve been developed. What training or hand-over plan is there for your site once the freelancer has finished his or her job?
If you have a clear understanding about what you want and how to manage the process during and after the build an online freelancer could be a good choice for you. However if you have little knowledge about what you are asking for, you could very well end up getting what you don’t want or need.
Doing it Yourself
Giving it a go yourself is very do-able. It might not have been 5 or 10 years ago, but it is today. To create a website requires three main skills – a flair for design, some marketing savvy and a sense for IT.
- Quite a lot of do-it-yourself websites end up looking clunky as there’s a tendency to add things in an ad-hoc way so the site doesn’t quite flow. It’s easy to create a badly designed website. Stick with the template provided and don’t try to be too clever – keep it simple!
- Many website owners are unaware of the elements on a site that can increase (or decrease) website visitors and turn them into a genuine lead or a sale. Most website owners do not understand how to develop a site with Search Engine Optimisation in mind. Knowing how to use your site to market your business is important knowledge to have.
- Some people who create a website for themselves are great at IT and others struggle. Which one are you?
If you intend to give it a go yourself leave plenty of time to learn and discover. Here at DIY Digital we have a Getting Started with WordPress package and a Getting Started with Wix package. Contact us if you are interested in either of these packages.
Ask a local
Having a local South Australian to create a website for you has several advantages. You’ll have a shared understanding of the people who are likely to be your customers. The website developer will draw upon their experience and knowledge of the software being used. You’ll have a sounding board for your business ideas and how they translate to the online environment.
- Your website is the window into your business – customers are looking in and checking up on you – are you happy with what they see? It’s important your website looks professional and speaks to your customers.
- There’s lots of different software choices when creating a website. Many make it sound easy to use their software and create a fantastic looking site. It is possible to make a website yourself, but very few of us would call it easy. It’s even harder to make a site that looks good, attracts and converts visitors to customers, and is technically solid.
- Having a local South Australian you can communicate with during the process of developing this key resource for your business will have surprising benefits. Not only will you get a great website, you’ll likely get ideas, inspiration, clarity and knowledge.
If you’re looking for personal service, great know-how and an experienced developer for your website, contact us today to see how we can help.
Take a look at our portfolio page to see a selection of Adelaide businesses that have already had their website developed by us. You can then hop over to our pricing page to get an understanding of costs. Then contact us to get a quote specific to your needs.
Get in touch
Use the contact form or send us an email. We’ll get back to you within 1 working day.
Better yet, call us on 0400 835 161 and let’s have a chat.